Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009

Just as a short introduction, I've decided to participate in NaNoWriMo 2009! All the way from Kenya. I figured it was a good thing to do with my time, and it might help keep some of the boredom away.

Anyways, it is already the third week of NaNoWriMo (exactly 17 days in for me), and everyone should be at 28,334 words by now. I am awesomely failing at this, since I got quite sick (evidently Kenyan food is filled with either parasites or bacteria, and my body fails at clearing either). I hit the mark for the first day and exceeded it (something around 2,100 words), and then totally failed to write anything else until yesterday. So my total is standing at 3,997 words. Woo! *yay for failure*

Anyways, I'm going to try and finish the story over time, even though I know that it's not going to actually make the NaNoWriMo deadline. But I'll probably try to hit 50,000 words by about the time I get back to the States, which might be a reasonable goal for me. Even if I don't, *yay* for trying.

In the spirit of Paradox, who let me read his story last year, I think I'm going to post my story to this blog, as I can't think of another suitable place to post it. I'm only going to post when I think I've come to a reasonable chapter break, so it might take at least a week or so before a new chapter gets posted (I kinda write non-linearly, so sometimes I'll write a scene that isn't connected to anything else for at least forever, or maybe not at all).

Don't ask me what the story is about really. I'm making it up as I go, with very little planning and foresight. I don't even know the title yet, let alone any chapter titles (if I even decide to make any). Already, my main character has become the customer in the teashop (not the lady who works in it like I thought originally), and it turns out that two of the characters don't get along, although they got along fine as of 2,500 words ago. It's kinda interesting to write because I really don't know what's going to happen, although I have a few ideas about the direction I want it to go in.

Anyways, without further ado, this is my introduction to my story. The first chapter shall follow in a separate post.

If you want to follow and see if I'm still writing despite the lack of posts, please visit my page here: http://www.nanowrimo.org//eng/user/459169

Enjoy!

No comments: